The story Faithful Elephants by Yukio Tsuchiya is about the war in Tokyo. The story is also about how in this zoo in Tokyo there are three unique elephants that were very special. These elephants have been suffering and died of starvation because of the war some animals in the zoo were also poisoned to die. The elephants couldn’t eat until the war was over because there were bombs being dropped.
I think that the elephants kind of symbolized the people that were in Tokyo because they had feelings, suffered because of starvation, and were badly affected by the war. In the title of the story it say’s animals, people, and war so that to me meant the elephants weren’t the only people who suffered also the people. I think the author was trying to show how the elephants and people connected in suffering because of this war.
I think the people outside the war in Tokyo were like the elephants at the zoo. For example in a quote from the passage it says “whenever a keeper walked by their cage they would stand up, tottering, as if to beg”. The elephants were begging for food just like the people in the war because with the bombs dropping you couldn’t just go out and buy food. The people just had to eat whatever they had and if it was nothing they would have to stay like that. When the author described how the elephants were begging I thought how usually I would see a human begging not a animal.
The elephants were also like people because they also suffered because of death. For example in the story the author says “the elephant’s keeper stopped feeding Tonky and Wanly. As the days passed, the elephants became thinner and thinner, weaker and weaker”. That meant to me that the elephants were dying little by little. When I think outside the story and more into the war world I compare the elephants and the people and how the elephants die because of starvation and so do the people. This war has affected the people and animals because it kills them and makes them suffer because they have no were to go.
In conclusion I think that the elephants wanly, John, and tonky were three important elephants because they symbolized the people in Tokyo suffering because of the war
No comments:
Post a Comment